Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, March 08, 2015

I'M TALL AGAIN!


I went to church this morning with my hostess and host, as well as a young mother and her two sons (6 and 8) who are also attending a language school for six weeks.This is the historic La Merced.  Some random thoughts crossed my mind during the service (since I couldn't understand too much of the homile). First, I could tell immediately it was a Catholic church by it's interior.  Also, I was one of the taller people in the congregation!  And no disrespect intended, but I think I know why there is so much standing up...to relieve one from having to sit in the awfully uncomfortable pews for so long! This photo was taken prior to the service, which was totally filled with people.



The church is only a block from where I am staying.  The central park is about 2 blocks from the church, and is lined with lots of restaurants and shops.  Notice the jacaranda trees, which I loved seeing in Morocco and South Africa.  (Don't forget you can click on the photo to enlarge it)  Also note the cobblestone streets; the sidewalks are even worse...very narrow and uneven.   I already learned my lesson yesterday to not walk and gawk, or I might take a trip I didn't expect!


Here are tuk tuks which are found around the world in cities needing small, cheap transport around town.  I will use one next week when I move from my house to the hotel where Habitat team members will be staying, as I need transport for my heavy bag.


Note the volcano is the background of this photo.  It is Volcan Fuego.  When it erupted a couple of weeks ago, they had to close down the airport for a day, the smoke was so bad.
Ruins and new ones, within blocks of each other.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home