Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Bits of this and that

It's five o'clock here in my little town. Here's how I started my day. Got up at 7:00, went to the kitchen and made myself some coffee, hot milk and a bit of cocoa for a nice big coffee mocha. (Put it in my great hiking/travel thermos mug). Heated up some bread, put a bit of apricot jam on a dish, and took the tray to my room. Apricot jam seems to be the only kind most people eat. Also ate part of a pomegranate and a few figs. The family generally sleeps until at least 8:00 during Ramadan. Washed up, studied a bit, then my sisters and I went for a walk down by the river.

They make several types of bread here. One type is raised and not a lot of oil and more like our regular homemade white bread, and it is primarily used to help pick up food of the main plate. The others are a flat bread made with quite a lot of olive oil and cooked in a fry pan. They have several variations on this theme. Last night she made something like a pita sandwich deal with it and stuffed it with finely chopped cheese, tomatoes, onions, salt, pepper, cumin. It was very tasty. The apples are in season now...just missed the orange harvest in September, so the main fruits available are the apples, pomegranates, and of course dates are ever present. Bananas are around but not commonly purchased. Also a few plums are around.

During our walk to the river we went past bamboo plants/trees along the road. Numerous families were washing clothes in the river, with the kids sitting on the rocks and doing their school work. The river is pretty piddly right now. The dam we walked to last week feeds many irrigation farms, and what is left that comes here is not very much, especially this time of year. My family does all their wash at their own house.

When we returned, they collected water as it was running for an hour or so. Apparently they are the only ones who have a water line in the area, as numerous other women in the area came with all their jugs to fill as well. The taste of the water is quite all right. I then had a little lunch of figs, almonds, cheese that I bought at the souq yesterday. I was able to take a picture of the hay wagon so hope I can download all my photos to kodak gallery soon to send to friends. There is a big butte or mesa near the edge of town that reminds me of the rims in Billings and I took a photo of that as well.

I am so glad that I have pictures of my family with me. If anyone has some good candid photos they can share, it would be great to have them sent here.

Am discovering it would have really been nice to have a basic handle on French language. Those who are literate usually know French, and so maybe in a year I'll give that learning a shot.

A bit on clothes, etc. It is ok for women to wear jeans and slacks here, as long as nothing is too tight. So am glad I brought several pair. Of course, you're spotted right away as a foreigner as all the local grown women wear jellabas over their clothes. Shorts are absolutely out. Only in the privacy of your own home, and that doesn't mean when you're a guest in someone else's house. Today was another gorgeous day...likely in the high 70's...and do miss just throwing on a pair of shorts and tank top for the day. But at least I don't have to wear long skirts ALL the time. My hair generally looks pretty crappy. Don't wash it every day and of course no blow drying or anything. One of the women in my group here is going to trim up my bangs this next week...I'll try to let the rest grow for awhile and see how it goes. Also do not bathe every day. Most just spit baths and bucket baths every other day or so. I'll look forward to my solar shower when I get my own place! In the meantime, we really make good use of the showers when we return to Azrou every week or so.

I had a chance to go to the home of the Peace Corps volunteer who lives in this town. She has a very roomy place and has it fixed up pretty neat. Now, that is by Moroccan standards, you must understand. Roomy is probably about 500 square feet. And very basic. But that is what life here is, and I have had no problem getting accustomed to that.

Had a bit of emotional time today. I was trying to figure out if we (my family) planned to go someplace this afternoon or not, and I just couldn't get the information. They are very supportive but I just was so overwhelmed and frustrated with the language barrier, and my inability to progress faster. I am lucky to be placed with people who are just kind and thoughtful. Every time I'm here I meet a bunch more relatives. Hard to keep straight who everyone is. But now I go to the souq and hear my name being called by one of them, and it's heartening to feel like I belong a little bit.

One last tidbit for the day. I've commented before about the lack of personal space (although my family is respectful about my need to be in my room alone to study). Both men and women can be seen walking down the street holding hands (with a person of the same sex) and it's no big deal. That takes some getting used to. But it's cool.

Time to go home for "breakfast" which is the first big meal of the day for them. It's always good and they fix me special things since I don't stay up for the big meal at 10:30 p.m. But what I'd give for a good salmon caesar salad or something like that!

Blessings to you all...and email me when you can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home