Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Unwanted attention. This is a subject that we had several sessions on early in our training. Now I do believe that this will be an issue during my entire stay. It's not just the men on the streets, but kids as well. It is clear that I am not a Moroccan. Most "white" people visiting this country are from France, so many children will giggle and say "Bon Jour." Some, especially little girls, will make a point to be in your path of walk to say that. So I respond in kind, then say "Salaam alekum" and they respond in Arabic, and then I'll say hello, how are you. and they'll giggle and sometimes parrot back to me. It's weird to be sort of a freak, esp. in the smaller towns. But I guess I better get accustomed to it!

The PCV who lives in my small community is a good person, and I look forward to visiting her house this week. I guess she has pretty spacious digs that would accomodate numerous guests. I'm hoping I can be that fortunate when I get my assignment. I'm thinking that I should be ready for company by next April or May, if anyone is interested in coming over! It will depend on where I live to know if that is a good time of year or not.

The training has been an intersting experience. The power point presentations have room for improvement, to say the least! Perhaps that is an area I can be of assistance later on. But the information on how we do our work and the business processes, although same in U. S., must of course be adapted to this culture; everything moves at a MUCH slower pace and progress indeed must be accepted on Moroccan time. Will be curious to see how this Type A personality copes with that a year down the road. I'm sure I'll make it work one way or the other.

Off to our community tomorrow morning so must re-juggle "stuff" to repack to go there fore six days, then back to Azrou for 3-4 again.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Connie,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in Morocco. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

Worldwide Peace Corps Blog Directory:
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia (’03-’05)
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home