Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Two months in Mgrib! And I feel like a big fat white carb.

It's hard to believe it's only been two months since I arrived in Rabat! Feels more like six months. And when I think my language skills are in the toilet, I recall what I knew just 60 days ago, and that makes me feel better. I am back in my community based training town, and there is quite a difference in communication with my host family from two weeks ago. We can actually exchange some messages verbally, without me going through all sorts of crazy antics. I will say goodbye to them Thursday morning, and that will be sad. I have been receiving little gifts of jewelry from several family members already. They are very caring. However, the house is colder than H! Today was a beautiful clear day, and lovely to be outside. But inside the house was another story. I have so many blankets over me at night I can hardly move from the weight. They do have a little wood stove in the TV/eating room that really makes that room hot, but that's the only one. And the safety features leave just a little to be desired.

I think I've eaten more white bread the past two months than I have the past two years total! I keep trying to cut back but they are so insistent that you eat, eat! And sometimes there's not much more than bread or other carbs to eat. But I'll survive for another couple of months until I get my own place. I understand that nights are cool there, but not as bad as here. Of course, the summers will be a lot hotter!

Anyone that might have a notion to come and see me would be wise to get some basic French down, so they can do some travel without me. Most all libraries have French books/tapes/CDs, as well as lot of places have night classes for adults. Sure wish I had more knowledge, but that will just have to wait for awhile.

Our PCT (training) group is cooking/eating at the PCV 's place tonight. One guy fancies himself as a cook, and if his hummus is any criteria, I have a great meal to look forward to soon. I think I have his hummus recipe committed to memory and look forward to trying it later on. He's got fresh green beans, will be steamed, not cooked in a pressure cooker until they are WAY overcooked, as is the case with most vegetables in this town. We get a lot of fresh veggies in Azrou at the noon meal...tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, quince, squash, potatoes (sometimes even french fries!). Had couscous for lunch today and it was great.

That's it for today! Thinking of you all, and hoping to hear from you by email when you have time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home