Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, October 16, 2006

This mma has been cookin'! In the kitchen that is! Spent three hours yesterday watching and helping the hostel cooking staff. I learned how to make an orange cake. Very moist yummy, and of course no calories! (Ha) No measuring cups or spoons are used. But I wrote down the recipe in approximate amounts and will try to make it when I have my own place. I also helped do lunch dishes. Wow. Seems like an efficiency expert could work wonders with their system, but they get the job done in their own time. I also watched how they make a yeast flat bread that turns out kind of spongey on which they drizzle honey over. Lots of white carbs if you choose to eat all of them. The women seemed very pleased that I made the effort to work with them and learn, and lots of hugs and kisses (on the cheek) as I departed.

We've received a nice cook book that other PCVs have created. It includes American recipes as well as Moroccan. Some of the directions for baking are: put in a oven on medium until it is done. And that is just how we baked the cake!

I am sure to my readers that it seems that I just left yesterday, but to me it seems like I have been here several months. Not that I mind, but that there has been so much crammed into such a short period. That said, we still aren't hurrying anywhere or rushing around, like I would be if I were still on the job in the U. S. I am getting accustomed to this simple life...even the Turkish toilets!

We're learning a lot about our role in small business development. What will be one of my challenges, other than the role of women in this society, is that the culture is very relationship oriented rather than task oriented. So I also perceive this as an opportunity for me to focus on the important aspects of life...that is, people, rather than things. Our job is to facilitate advancement of artisan's associations/organizations, not to manage for them, and to transfer our skills in a way that will be sustaining. Many current PC volunteers have come to participate in leading our training sessions, sharing their experiences on what works, what didn't, etc. That has been very helpful.

We had another session on safety and security last week. Many issues and things to be aware of and think about because of the cultural/environment issues. Some of it is just understanding their behavior by understanding the cluture. But I do have a clear advantage because of my age. Sometimes it is nice to be older!

Back to our small community tomorrow morning. Ramadan will be ending about Oct. 23rd and the following day is a big day of feasting and visiting with family and friends, so we get that day off to be a part of the celebration with our host families. Then we come back to Azrou and find out our site assignements on Oct. 28th. Everyone is very eager to learn where they will be living for the next two years!

More later from my little community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home