Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, October 13, 2006

Back in Azrou...had a great long bath after arriving yesterday. Twas wonderful! And back to loads of vegetable dishes served here at the hostel...don't get lots at my community based training site, although eating is still pretty healthy. Lots of breads, which I try to limit a bit, as they are all white breads.

I've been taking better care of my teeth since I've been here than ever before! It's interesting to note that it seems that the condition of teeth of the Moroccans seem to be directly related to their educational level; that is, the more literate and educated ones have the better teeth. Let me tell you, there are lots of gruesome looking smiles out there!

Cost of some things here is so cheap. I went to get a "bic" lighter the other day for our butagas burner at the school (for my herbal tea...now out of and eagerly awaiting packages to arrive from several friends)...and the cost of the lighter was only about $.12. Some of the things I don't see available here is lettuce, salmon, nutrition bars, whole grain breads, "healthy" cereal. They have a chain store called "marjon" that is the Target of Morocco, so to speak. They are located in larger cities, and we will likely be within 3-4 hours of any one of them when at our permanent site...and they have more variety of products there than anyplace else.

Cost of produce is all by kilo weight, and most all produce seems to be much cheaper than in America, but then in the smaller towns most of what is available to buy is that which is in season in the area anyway.

Am going to get a haircut tonight from one of the volunteers. Can't stand it any longer! It seems very long, especially when I can't blow dry and get it out of my face very well....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home