Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

BUTAGAS was the subject of one of our sessions today. We learned how to buy it, how to hook up the tanks to the stove and oven, how to check for leaks, etc. Butane is the cooking heat source here in nearly all homes, so it was good to learn the ropes on that.

Mailed two postcards to oldest grandsons yesterday at a cost of about three dollars for the two of them. Guess they dont want Moroccans writing to Americans? Letters from US to here are .84 (so please feel free to write me anytime...getting mail is really a big deal for me) but packages get a bit more pricey, but again, hugely appreciated. I look forward to going to the Marjone in Rabat in a week to see if they have some American things like peanut butter, whole grain foods, etc. and I am already starting to feel sorry for myself about how this Christmas will be, but know that it will be okay and I will get through it.

We had a presentation yesterday from the Dept. of Ministry on Tourism yesterday. He spoke French for about 2-3 hours with a power point presentation, but the gist of it was that there is a strategic plan in place to get more people employed, including doing more to help the rural artisans like the ones Ill be working with, so that was good news. Hope it really happens.

Am going to walk tomorrow for about four hours, to go see the Barbary apes which I have seen on the way to my community based training. Then will hit the language studying for my proficiency test on Monday. I am still slower than most others but believe I excel in other areas, so am not stressing out about it. We all go to Immouzer Tuesday for a few days and will be cooking our own big Thanksgiving dinner the night before our big swearing in ceremony in Fes.

The new director of the Peace Corps visited Azrou last week, but I was not here so missed seeing him. He worked a couple of years for D. A. Davidson, an investment firm in Gt. Falls, prior to being tapped by Bush for this position. He was a volunteer years ago.

I will be emailing my new mailing address is about 10 days, so please no more mail to the Rabat address.

1 Comments:

Blogger marmi said...

love you mom. you will be in my heart and mind daily during this holiday season. looking forward to those spent TOGETHER. marci

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home