Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

OUARZAZATE. Here I am in lovely downtown Ouarzazate. It's claim to fame is that there is a move studio just outside of town, and numerous movies, including American ones, are filmed here. (I think one right now). I am here to do a training session tomorrow on "Teaching Beginning Computer" to 38 new volunteers. How can a small business development without these business skills? Yet, there are little/no places to learn the computer in our small village; oftentimes the cyber is the only place where there are computers. Speaking of which, for some reason I cannot access this blog website via my internet at home. I can get to all other websites but this one, so there is something up with my ISP and my computer, I guess! Frustrating. But such is daily life here, if you let it be!

Let me tell you about my trip here this morning. I was told I could get on a bus at 6:30 A.M. across from the taxi stand 1/2 block from my house, and it would likely cost 40-50 Dhs. If I were to take a taxi it probably be 80 Dhs. The thing about the trip is the entire 155K is in and out of the mountains on VERY windey roads., and both the taxi and bus tend to be quite crowded with little leg room and/or seat space. (There is usually someone who throws up on the bus) I think once I mentioned there are not a lot of overweight people here. I take it back. There are quite a few hefty women and some men, but you don't see grossly obese people. Anyway, lately it seems like the 4th person in the back seat of the taxi is a large woman who takes up more than her 1/4 space, or else she's in front w/me, and I get to squish in on the console area and keep my left cheek lifted so the driver can shift gears. ANYWAY! This morning an empty taxi pulls up and I actually get to ride for 50 Dhs, and have the front seat to myself for more than an hour of the 3-hour trip. The taxi does fill up as we continue on down the road. But expecting a dreadful trip, I actually had a pretty pleasant one. The landscape is outstanding; my hiker/other friends will see it when they come next April. Similar to Copper Canyon in Mexico, but on a better road (but much more traffic).

It is fun to be here and see some of the other volunteers and some of the Moroccan trainers I knew from a year ago. And oh, the innocence of the trainees.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

i think i finally figured out how to communicate with you on this blog. i like the other one a lot better. I suppose when you get home everywhere you go will be by taxi or bus. have a great day

Ed

7:21 AM  
Blogger Bob Jones said...

Connie – I get to your blog and catch up every few months. I am always amazed at what you are doing and the people, places and things you experience. What a wonder it must be for you. I also admire your strength. As you noted in one of your earlier writings, over 1/3 leave the PC prior to the two plus years. You have done great and all of us in Billings that follow along are proud of you. Your writing and your pictures are great. You capture so much and I truly enjoy them.

I am retiring from the bank with final day Jan 2, 08 but actual date is Oct 19th. Carolyn and I are going on a 40 day trip to SE Asia to celebrate and make it official. She retired in June. We will have pictures of SE Asia for you when you get back.

Bob Jones

8:36 PM  
Blogger LuAnne Engh said...

Connie,

Hope June made it to you without any problems. I bet you're excited to see her and the goodies she's bringing. Hope you'll remind her that we expect to hear some good stories with photos. This is a terrific experience for her.

Glad to hear your tour is going so well!!

LuAnne Engh
Mayflower

9:48 PM  
Blogger carolynjones said...

Connie, I just spent a good while catching up on your wonderful blog.Do you know if anyone here in Billings has started organizing the trip to see you next year? Some people have asked, but noone seems to be running with the ball yet.
carolyn

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home