Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, March 24, 2008


APRIL (well, nearly) IN PARIS. Easter weekend was absolutely wonderful. I saw lots of things and took lots of photos, so will do several blogs on various topics. When I look out of my window in my village, I see "donkey central" and the public water closet near the busy highway; the right photo is the view I was treated to from the Hamilton's fifth floor apartment above the American Church of Paris. The left photo is the corner of the church building.

I was able to make (afford!) this journey because I could stay with friends; he is an associate pastor just doing weddings, of which there are many. This church is a beehive of activity, serving not only as a place of worship, but Montessori school, yoga, aerobics, AA meetings, and a myriad of other things. It is located on the left bank of the Seine, about a 10 minute walk from the Eiffel Tower and 15 minutes to the Musee d'Orsay.

I attended evening services on Thursday and Friday evenings, a meeting on Saturday, and the early Easter service, at which members of the congregation were invited to join the church choir (50 voices) in singing the Hallelujah Chorus. What a great experience! There were also three trumpets along with the pipe organ; a youth choir and handbell choir also performed. There were about 1,000 people who attended the two Easter Sunday services. There was also a free piano concert Sunday night at the church; it was one of a series of performances, with about 400 in attendance. The cultures/races who come to this church are many...probably 30 different nationalities. It is an interdenominational church, and the first American church established outside the U. S.

I was fed delicious meals, we ate out a few times, shopped for some cheese and other items at a supermarket to take home, and even found a Starbucks to have a latte! Prices are very high in Paris, and the dollar is very low, so the only other shopping I did was window variety. I really enjoyed being able to take hot baths and showers, especially since the weather was chilly, with intermittent wind and rain. But with so many wonderful things to see, it was tolerable. I did take my good light blue rainproof jacket...and you could spot me a mile away in the sea of black, black, black jackets and umbrellas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home