Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

POTTERS FROM AMERICA visited one of my friend's site; she works with men in her village who primarily make tajines and small water jugs. She convinced some of the staff from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln to come and do a two-day training. The local potters usually work in a small mud building where the wheel is in a pit; they sit on the ground and are able to kick the wheel from a more comfortable position. They made this stand especially for the event so demonstrations could be viewed by many. There were about 100 people there; many from the community came just to see what was
going on. I especially like the photo of the old man closely watching the woman potter. Another male volunteer in attendance captivated the youngsters who were hanging around.




I think it was a good thing for these
young girls to see men learning from women. There are very few women potters in this country.
By the way, it was about 120K (70miles) from my site to this one and since I went the cheapest route, it took me about 3 1/2 hours to get there...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home