Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, August 01, 2008

MARRIAGE?! About the most exciting thing that has happened this week, besides that I just discovered I could blog from my house again, is that I think I might have received a marriage proposal.

I'm headed down from the top of the hill on my morning walk, and this old toothless shepherd shows off his French by saying (as many locals do) "ca va." So I show off my Darija with a "labas ehlik?!" (fine, and you?!) He shakes my hand, delighted that I can speak his language, asks me where I am going, which everyone always does, and I tell him I am returning to my house in Touama. He asks if I have a husband and I give him an emphatic "no!" He makes some other remarks I don't understand, and invites me to tea, which I decline. I have a devil of a time getting rid of his handshake and continuing on the path. Now you may laugh, but that is about the extend of many courtships in the settlements/towns/cities around here. If he only knew just how different a role the woman/wife plays in my country, he would be shocked. Well, my job here is not to change the culture, but I do hope that some of the positive aspects of being an American woman are being conveyed to the girls and women that I associate with.

Am making slight progress on the to-do list. Will try to update before I leave on the 7th for my two-week trip to points north.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home