Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, August 30, 2008

WHAT'S COOKIN'? Other than me, if in the sun today, it's my popcorn in the cooker. This is my stove with the butagas (butane) tank underneath, which has a dual connection to my adjacent oven. The kettle is mostly used to heat water for bucket baths, and in cooler weather, my herbal tea. The pressure cooker is a basically a mandatory household item in the Moroccan household. You might say is serves as their microwave. Mine is old and the pressure part is broken, but I use it to cook most everything, as it's the only pot which has a lid! It does make wonderful popcorn, which I have on a regular basis. I buy it bulk in the next town; it costs 9 DH a kilo. To exercise your internet skills, you can find a website that converts currency and also one that converts to the metric system!
If the oven looks like a tin box, that's because it is. I mainly use it to make banana bread every couple of months, which I usually have with Laughing Cow cheese (the only kind I can buy in my town) for breakfast. Not only am I too lazy to make Moroccan flat bread, I try to eat other, healthier carbs instead. Occasionally I will buy bread from the store; it is quite cheap. And, when I visit homes here, tea and bread is generally offered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home