Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, August 15, 2008

FES. Home of the oldest university in the world. And one of the largest tanneries, which still process hides in the medieval ( unsafe and stinky) methods. I had visited the one in Marrakech so opted not to see (especially, smell!) this one.
The photo on the left shows one of the many water
fountains in the medina with its intricate carving in the ceramic tiles, and aptly includes one of the many ever-present cats. It is located next to an old building which houses a great museum of the carpenter's ancient craft. The photo on the right is commonly seen next to small stores in the summer. Water and cup are available for any passersby who need a drink.

We stayed in an inexpensive hotel in the medina and ate frequently at the nearby Cafe Clock which is owned and operated by a young man from England. It is so named since it is near a clock tower nearby. Here is a clever mobile made from silverware hanging from a bicyle wheel.

The photo on the right is the "Bab" (door) to the medina which was quite beautiful when lighted at night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home