Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, August 04, 2008

IT’S A MONDAY! Went to the neddy with my laptop to work on my “knife and fork” presentation that I will be doing when I go home, and also to kill time and see if anyone showed up. My counterpart (I will refer to her from Malika from this point on) and the young woman (Sana) who will manage the store both came, each with computer parts that some governmental entity gave to them. Likely leftovers from some office: a flat screen monitor, new keyboard, and a webcam. (Of course, there is no internet at the neddy, and the other computer items really not a priority need right now). Gees, all I want are door handles with locks that work, sewing machines that work, someone to help me assemble the do-it-yourself cupboard, etc. This reminds me an incident that occurred about 40 years ago when the U.S. Government gave free electrical appliances to residents on a Montana Indian reservation who lived in homes with no electricity.

Then this afternoon my landlord knocks on my door, and there is a group of young people and an older guide with them looking for Malika. They a group of volunteers from Italy who will be working in the area for two weeks and she is a contact of some sort. I take them to her house and after about 20 minutes, they come to realize she is not the right Malika. So we had tea anyway and the leader said he knew of another group who wanted to work with women’s groups on human rights projects, so all was not lost.

Yesterday the welder stopped by to talk with me about the signs. He found a guy who hand paints the letters. He is very expensive, but I am assured it will be an excellent job, and I do have adequate monies left so here’s hoping!

I requested a meeting tomorrow afternoon with all 5 of us who are actively involved in my project so we can once again discuss what needs to be done. I am still hopeful we will be in a position to open up by the first of September.

It was 108 in the shade by my front door today…and of course much hotter in the sun, but I didn’t want to look to see just how hot it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home