Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

TANGIER. This is a busy port city, with lots of congested traffic, but I had a chance to see these two great attractions. The Old American Legation Museum is the only U. S. National Historic Landmark on foreign soil, and houses a letter from George Washington "To the Emperor of Morocco, Great and Magnanimous Friend" dated 12/1/1789. (In case in photo
on the left). There is a room (photo on right) that is dedicated to Paul Bowles and the Beat generation. The Peace Corps was also located in this building in the 6o's. The museum also houses numerous works of art including several by Scottish painter James McBey.



Another site I visited was St. Andrews Church which was built in 1894 and continues to hold worship services. A gentlemen by the name of Mustapha allowed me in the sanctuary even though it was during his lunch hour. He has been the caretaker there for 45 years. The Lord's Prayer is written in Arabic around the chancel arch. A painting by Matisse "Window at Tangier" includes this building. It was very moving for me to have the opportunity to sit in a Christian church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home