Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

ASILAH. Beautiful beach town.
Linda, where are you when I need you? My good friend since age 6 and I both love playing in the water, and how I missed her in the ocean here! There is sort of a promenade along the ocean with flags of all the countries; the American flag is further down the walk.

The shore area nearest the town is protected by
a concrete wall, as well as these huge tripod type forms. The beach shown here is just a small section near the medina; the rest of the ocean is on the other side of the pier and is quite long, and was well-filled with vacationing Moroccans and other Europeans. One aspect about beaches is the same worldwide: people laughing and having a great time body surfing and bobbing in the waves, little kids crying who don't like their parents getting them totally wet. But beach-goers here are predominantly male, some young women, both in swim suits, bikinis, scarved...the works. Most older women are just sitting under an umbrella watching the young. Margaret is not a beach person, so there was no question I was the oldest female on this huge beach in a swimming suit, but what the hey?! Who am I to let that bother me.


The first night we stayed in an upscale, small Spanish-owned hotel, but there was only one bed. We preferred two beds, so moved to a cheaper hotel the next day, and it was undoubtedly one of the worse hotels I've stayed in, so on this trip we experienced very nice accommodations (in Chefchaouen where they made a mistake on reservations so put us in a suite) to our cruddy one our last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home