Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, January 26, 2014

TRIPPING AROUND ON A SUNDAY

Vicky picked me up Sunday morning and we attended the Parktown North Methodist Church which is located near my cottage; I had walked there (without getting lost!) on Saturday morning for a meeting and it took about 25 minutes.

The diversity in age and race of the congregation was quite broad.  It was a kickoff Sunday for the school kids, and there a lot of them there.  The youth minister gave a little talk and they all exited.  It was Covenant Sunday so that entailed Communion, and a very good sermon by the minister.  There were no hymnals, and they put the words up on a screen.  Not to my liking, as I didn't know the tunes...even some standard hymns were sung to a different melody.  That, plus the service lasted nearly two hours. There is a UCC church about an hour's walk from here, so need to find some transportation there and hope to try to get there this Sunday.

We then went to her apartment in Sandton, a very upscale area...then to Nelson Mandela Square,
Vicky in the Square.  Note the names of the shops in back.
where we got on the Gautrain and went to Hatfield (where the PCV's stay and where I had been) to visit my friend Jonelle who is still recovering from knee surgery.  We took  her lunch and visited, then returned back on the train.  A very nice but somewhat expensive method of transportation that goes north-south to cities around Joburg.  They allow no drinking/eating or chewing of gum, and strictly enforce it.  Guess that's why it's nice!

Then Vicky took me back to my cottage.  This was her first experience in driving outside her own area, so she liked having someone with her.  We'll likely do some more exploring next weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home