Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, March 30, 2015

DOMINGO DE PALMAS


One of the biggest days of the year is Palm Sunday, and the entire Semana Santa (Holy Week) draws crowds from far and near.  The Sunday processions start several weeks prior, but Palm Sunday and Good Friday processions are the biggest.



I am sorry to admit that I was so tired and the crowds were so dense that I didn't view as many alfombras or the procession as I now wish I had. So, guess I'll have to go back!





















This is Catedral de San Jose which had a huge alfombra on the floorIt is made from colored rice, sawdust, plant material and lined with colorful fruits and vegetables.















Semana Santa celebrations take place annually. The festival typically commences on Palm Sunday, one week before Easter, and goes through the week  until Good Friday, when devotees remember the Passion of Christ, the suffering Jesus endured on the cross and the solemn anniversary of his death. Most Holy Weeks end on Holy Saturday, a day of vigil in anticipation of the resurrection.

Semana Santa celebrations are predominantly Catholic and celebrated in Latin countries that almost exclusively identify with this religion. In Guatemala, there are many fusions between local beliefs, the Mayans and Catholicism, and the farther you travel into the mountains, the more you’ll see the mix. The three main activities of Antigua’s Semana Santa are the processions of floats and horses (procesiones ), carpet-making (alfombras ), and candlelight vigils (vigilias ).  The alfombras are made of sawdust, rice, flowers, vegetables, and are absolutely amazing to see.  Suggest you google "alfombras" to view good photos and explanation of the creations.
Saturday prior to this was a travel day from San Marcos, with a dinner at a very nice restaurant that evening.  Team members left at various times, with seven of us still in Antigua on Sunday.  My shuttle picked me up at 3 a.m. for the airport for a long trip back to Montana, filled with wonderful memories of another special international travel experience, but glad to be home once again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Connie - What an adventure!
Isn't it just great - so glad you're able to venture.
-Deane

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home