Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, March 16, 2015

SUNDAY AT LAKE ATITLAN

One of the recommended places to visit is Lake Atitlan, so on Sunday I was picked up by a shuttle van about 5:45 a.m., and after a few stops on a primarily poor road, we arrived at the town of Panjachel about 8:15.  There were two brothers from England who I met so we had breakfast together there, and then boarded a boat an hour later a tour of some towns.


First was San Juan, where a guide took me to a women's association that made thread from cotton and dyed the thread with natural products, such as hibiscus, beets, wood bark, and an assortment of other things.  Plant leaves (not sure what plant) are used to change some colors, and the color is fixed using the stalk of a banana plant.  I made my first purchase in country of eight lovely placemats.


Weaving the thread from raw cotton that has been pounded
by hand to remove seeds
Vat with banana stalk liquid to make thread color-fast
































Next we went to San Pedro, and when the guide asked me if I wanted to see the inside of a Catholic church or walk, I opted for the latter.  We encountered his daughter and her friend.  When I asked where he lived, he told me that it was close by, and did I want to see it.  Sure, I would!  So we went there and met his little boy and his wife, and noticed two machines in a room where we entered.  Discovered that his mother-in-law had a business of grinding coffee beans and maize (to make the dough for tortillas).  People bring in the plastic tubs of maize (or coffee) and pay to have it ground.




Last was Santiago, which was a larger town where we had lunch.  Again I ate with the two very interesting brothers, and had vegetarian pasta.

Returned home about 7 p.m.  A long but very enjoyable day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home