Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, April 01, 2016

COSTA RICA HOMESTAY

Prior to meeting the team for the build, I arranged a homestay with a SERVAS member (an international hosting program) for a week.  I flew to Houston on March 26th, stayed at a motel near the Airport, and my friend Vicky Valero came with food from a deli and visited for a couple of hours.

On Easter Sunday I flew into San Jose.  We arrived on time, but when the plane taxied to the terminal, we got stuck in a "hole." The pilot called for a tug, but the tow bar broke and they had to get another.  The line for immigration was very busy due to the holiday.  Carmen Mora Mora gave me a ride to her house, she fed me some lunch of a cornmeal type of bread with some type of filling that was pretty good.

 I thought she knew English better than she did, but I had no problem understanding it was necessary for me to stay with another SERVAS host also named Carmen.  So off we go about a half hour away, and I stay with Carmen and her husband.  I have an upstairs bedroom to myself, and these folks don't speak any English except a few words.  Both Carmen's are retired teachers.  I just hung around Monday, and arranged for an all-day tour the next day, going to a coffee farm, volcano, and waterfall park that also had different areas for frogs, butterflies, monkeys, etal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home