Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, November 26, 2006


A Sunday in Rabat.

First, a bit about the hotels in Morocco. The one I am in is a very basic one that reminds me somewhat of Mammoth Hot Springs hotel. Pretty spartan, no TV, old furniture, but clean...even the holey sheets. I do have my own private bath, complete with an American toilet and shower. Hotels, at least the cheaper ones I go to, do not provide soap, shampoo, t.p. or towels. There is typically no plug for the sink drain either, which makes it difficult to wash out clothes. But because I am staying two nights here, I get a discounted rate of about 10 dollars a night. Otherwise it would be about 13. Since I am here for medical reasons, I am reimbursed, but when I travel for pleasure this price will be pretty attractive to me on my P.C. living allowance. For those of you who might have Lonely Planet travel book, this hotel is around the corner from Henry's bar and across from the train station.

So I started the day with great pastries and coffee at the Patesserie Majestic. Then I meandered around the old medina for a couple of hours, primarily looking for the bargain priced DVDs for a PCV friend but could not find the store. Went back to my room for a little rest and reading then headed back down through the medina, through a huge cemetary, then to the ocean front where I watched wonderful huge waves and surfboarders.


Did some more wandering in the medina; bought a sink plug. It was quite funny trying to explain what I wanted. but got the job done even to the point of bartering him down a bit. Think I still paid too much at 12 dhs (about 1.35)On the way home I saw bike racers entering the finish lane near my hotel. Guess Lance Armstrong wasn't among them. Not sure what race it was but there were lots of press and a big ceremony following.


Discovered that my niece Laurie's friend from Seattle is coming to Morocco in March with the P.C. so am eager to be able to see her. Am going to now Skype with daughter Marci. What a great invention! It's free so if you want to visit with me, or anyone else via computer, all you need is a headset!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home