Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Thursday, November 08, 2007


BUILDING CONSTRUCTION IN MOROCCO. There are many homes in the rural areas that are are "mud" houses,that is, made of clay bricks. The advantage is they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Disadvantages include lack of windows/doors and therefore more insects/bugs, and after many years, they tend to crumble. They are just made of dirt and water, then sun-dried. You just don't see wooden homes. Trees are scarce and deforestation is a problem, so all wood is expensive...like wood for shelving for my neddy boutique project, or wooden furniture. However, they do use wooden forms when setting up "remodel" or addition projects as shown here.

I live above a sort of little hardware store that also makes bricks, which are really hollow concrete blocks. Here is Aziz after he has "sifted" gravel and is taking it to another area to begin his brick-making process. He probably weighs 120 pounds soaking wet and works very hard. I think he is an employee of the two brothers who own the business. A picture of the "form" he uses to make all the blocks. And, a photo of a truck delivering cement used in the process. The bricks are not real hard; I chipped the edge of my kitchen door trying to knock a piece of sugar cone apart. The point being...sugar cones (at least when dry) are harder than the bricks!













And here is a new house by the highway near my town. Very pretty and upscale for this area. Enlarge and you will see the satellite dish present on even mud houses.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Connie, about how much would it cost to build a house like that?
My wife is from Marrakesh and i know it's getting expensive there to buy a house. We live in the good old USA.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Connie Genger said...

Gee, I don't have any idea. It would depend a lot on if you were to do "American" plumbing and electrical or not, as they amount of those things in houses here are, of course, minimal compared to U. S. standards. I can tell you, however, that LOTS of Europeans are building/buying property in Kech and other cities because it's so much cheaper. I would guess that land is pretty inexpensive out here. If you seriously want a guesstimate, I could ask my landlords.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A guesstimate is what i was looking for.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home