Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Thursday, January 30, 2014

MY COTTAGE

Time to let you see my digs.  For first time blog-viewers, you can click on the photo to enlarge it.

Front of house
I'm in an upper middle class neighborhood.  Nearly all the houses have walls with security wire on the top, and they also have a security service that patrols the area, but most do not have alarm systems.
View from the front door

The first place they had lined up for me was twice as  big and in a more convenient location, but this is okay, and in a very safe neighborhood.  I'd say the square footage of my living quarters is about 9 x 17 feet, two stories.  Outside of the electrical plug-ins/adapter needs, its worst feature is a spiral staircase to the bedroom.  This building was used as a studio and never as an apartment, so I had to "build" the kitchen around the sink/cupboard, and it's entailed a lot of trips to various stores.  But it will be fine and dandy when I'm all sorted.
staircase to bedroom


View from bedroom

My bed

Guest bed










I learned from Moroccan life (vs American) is that the more "stuff" you have, the more complicated life is.  That's certainly proven true here.  So the volunteers out in the bush who have no electricity or running water don't need to think about computers, TVs, toaster ovens, refrigerators.  Life is simpler, and of course, much slower.  But living in a huge city just doesn't work that way.  And yes, since my landlady has an extra old clunker TV in the cottage, I will use it, as I am somewhat isolated due to transportation issues, and since I am having a lot of difficulty getting wifi to my place, it is welcome.  I get 5 channels, and it seems most often there are awful "soap" type of programs but I can catch the news from time to time and watched "The Good Wife"  the other night. Now if I could just get Downton Abbey! :)
stoven, coffee pot and micro
                    
(A stoven is a toaster oven with
hot plates on the top)
Other side of kitchen area

My front room, still a bit messy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home