Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! This morning I headed out for my morning walk after the electricity and water disappeared and I couldn't do my laundry...not an uncommon occurrence. Walking on the weekends along the highway generally means less donkey traffic and more vehicular traffic. I always see someone who I've not seen before, or who hasn't seen me. Even though my town is small, there are hundreds of people who live in all the surrounding villages. I do think, however, that many know either who I am or have heard about the American woman.

The reactions I get from people is quite amusing. Men/boys usually give me a quizzical look and/or ask me where I'm going or what I'm doing. Others "get it" right away that I am exercising. Some try to talk to me in French and even though I tell them, in Moroccan Arabic, numerous times that I don't speak French, they continue to try to talk to me in French! (Most all fair-skinned people here are from France.) Lots of drivers give me a thumbs up, indicating they think my exercising is good. I hear girls and women who I don't even know call out "Hi Coonie," (no, that wasn't a typo, somehow my name gets pronounced a bit differently) and may give me the cheek/cheek kiss greeting. A side note to this. Many of the volunteers adopt a Moroccan name, usually at the encouragement of the local people. I opted not to, and am glad of it. Hopefully I am presenting a positive side of the U. S. to Moroccans, and there is no question as to who "Coonie" is...but my unique identity would be lost if I was Fatima or Malika, etc.

The other day an old guy on a donkey and I had a little conversation, as the donkey and I were walking at the same speed. A faucet for city water outside of town was eliminated for some reason, so we hashed that over.

Even though it would be more pleasant (quieter) to walk in the hills/mountains, I don't think it's safe to do that alone, and walking along the highway always seems to lift my spirits, and makes me feel that I am indeed sharing cultures in a positive way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home