Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/ll

Returning from a wool buying trip in Marrakech, I looked at the fifty some Moroccans on the bus, (mostly all men) and while thinking about today’s date, reflected how non-threatened I feel by Muslims. I know there are mothers here whose hearts are broken because a son has left home and gone astray and into trouble because of alcohol and drugs, or perhaps has even become a terrorist. So many things are common the world around...are there not many mothers in America who suffer from similar sadness?

We stopped on the way at my counterpart’s son’s home to see grandkids, and the daughter-in-law offered me tea (and bread, of course), telling me it’s not a problem if I partake, because she isn’t fasting as she is having her period (an excusable reason for not fasting, but those days are to be “made up” later). I looked at them and said, “Well, so I am, so OK, I will eat and drink.” They looked at me rather startled for a second, then we all had a good laugh. Another commonality...we can share a good sense of humor without knowing the language well...

This son's family just moved only 20k from our town and Malika really misses the grandkids, who formerly lived next door to her. I think she is finally realizing how difficult that aspect of living here has been for me...being SO far away from family, and for so long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home