Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Saturday, September 06, 2008

IT'S A DIFFERENT DAY. After an invigorating 1 1/2 hour walk this morning, I went to the neddy with Sana, and Malika appeared shortly after, with a man who is a journalist. She wanted me to accompany them to see a couple of the women who live out in the douars. So I in my flip flops traversed over hill and dale and rocks for another hour. Who says I don't get workouts here!

I discovered the man was with a TV station out of Casablanca. He must be doing a feature story on poor rural women. We first visited the home of a woman who just started coming to the neddy about six months ago. She is a dwarf and makes straw-woven items, but also pretty nice woven wool rugs. I had a chance to visit with her a bit about making smaller items for wall and/or table décor to sell in the boutique. She was with the group that went to see the King a couple of months ago and likes me because I walked with her and helped her maneuver around a bit.

The next trip was over to see Fatima, "my" beader lady who had recent heart surgery. She is such a gentle, sweet woman, and for such a petite lady, sure can give strong hugs. (Hugs really aren't common here...but I do hug some of the women I really like, and they've been returned.) Her beaded necklaces and bracelets have really improved, thanks to good input from Global Village in Billings, who purchased some of her product a year ago. I will buy more beads in order for her to make me some items for gift giving.

Later in the day, I reviewed some of the things that needed to be done at the neddy. Sana wants to learn how to make stuffed camels to sell at the boutique, but none of the sewing machines work. Apparently there is a repairman in the next town, and Malika has called him, and he'll come, inshallah. The big signs need to be put up, but now I am told there is a charge to put them up on a public road. Before this time, it was mashi mushkil. No problem. So we need to know how much it will cost and arrange for someone to install them. I decided to just get it done and not wait until we have a big stock of product; we need to get some customers in the store now. And the list goes on. All of these things round out the Peace Corps Partnership Program (PCPP) funding to which many of you contributed, and I must wrap it up within a month. So perhaps the possibility of having to return funds to America (to the general grant program) will be a motivating force in getting things accomplished this month. I will be doing my best to make it happen.

Ups and downs. I must focus on the ups! Like, I haven't seen a roach, dead or alive, in my house for a couple of months! It's not been over 85 in my house lately! I'm having a ham and cheese sandwich in Marrakech today (at a Dutch-owned restaurant) with a friend who is enjoyable company! Bet these aren't the things that make your day, lol!

I was enjoying full blogging capability at home, but all of a sudden it's vanished, so am sending this from an internet café in Kech, and will blog again later when able.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home