Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Sunday, September 14, 2008

FASTING. No, children do not have to fast. So, at this time there is school for elementary ages, but no school yet for junior and senior high. They, and their teachers, are fasting, so they wait until after Ramadan to begin. There are several accepted excuses for not fasting, one of which I mentioned in my previous blog, but it is expected that any days missed will be made up at a later date. For example, required work in situations where it would be dangerous to your health and/or others to not drink...perhaps in extremely hot environment.

Everyone breaks their fast at sunset and that time is announced on TV and by the call to prayer; this year it is about 6:45. Then many people will eat again about 10:00-11:00 and go to bed, then get up to have bread and tea or something about 4 a.m. That schedule/meals varies among households. Maybe that helps explain why Ramadan is not quite so challenging in the winter when the days are short...and very difficult in the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home