Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Friday, January 31, 2014

FUN FRIDAY

A great ending to the week and month.  Despite pouring rain which started in the middle of the night (along with a couple of mosquitos dive-bombing me all night...no windows screens) I finally managed to find a bus that got me directly to work this morning and one this afternoon as well.  A stroke of luck that I hope will continue!



Happy Birthday 3-year old Tshego
Then, Tshidi and I went to her daughter's crèche (day-care) to do her little birthday party.

Tshidi lighting the candles













Next we went to Sandtonview High School for their Prize-Giving.  The school year here starts in mid-January, after about a 5-week break for Christmastime, and there are other breaks throughout the year.  So this was to recognize the academic achievements for the previous year as well as awards for chess, netball, soccer, young scientist, blood donor, mathematics, and public speaking.  The front of the program had the Vince Lombardi quote, "It is time for us to stand and cheer for the doer, the achiever, the one who recognizes the challenge and does something about it."  Interesting that the academic achievements started with those 65%, then went up into increments.  There was one learner who graduated who had a 93% in accounting, and that drew great applause, as that was the highest in any subject in all grades.  I've talked to numerous local people who have concerns about educational expectations here.  But one must remember that the black community/government has only been around for 20 years, with much ground to cover.
Tshidi was a guest speaker, as she has done training there, and gave a short motivational talk.

Learners all sit on the floor during assembly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home