Connie in Morocco and Beyond

These are my travel experiences beginning with my Peace Corps service in Morocco from 2006-2008. At the request of friends and my own desire to document, I continued blogging my journeys to other countries as well as in the U. S., including my service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer in South Africa for most of 2014. This blog will continue as my travel journal.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Billings, Montana, United States

The Big Sky country of Montana is home sweet home!

Monday, February 03, 2014

"FUNNY" STORY

Vicky recently told me my blog was boring and that I didn't include enough emotion, and didn't sound like me relating experiences as I do live.  I told her it was not to entertain the readers, but to be a journal of my experiences for me to read when I get old.  (Ha!) But, I will humor her and relate "page two" of the bus-riding to work story.

Since I was walking in the mornings, it seemed like a plan to try to take the 8:30 bus, and the schedule indicated there were two that came by about that time.The first day I tried to catch a bus the first one that came by (at 8:25) said it wasn't my bus, which was yet to come.  The #1 bus I wanted didn't appear, but soon #79 did, and he slowed and I got on but he wouldn't take my bus pass.  We engaged in a little conversation and I told him where I wanted to get off, which is a major intersection about a 10 minute walk from the office, but not a regular bus stop.  No other people were waiting along the way or stops made.  We chatted a bit about why I was here.  I had the notion he really wasn't fully understanding me, and I sure had a hard time understanding him, although his English was not bad.

He came by the next day about 8:45 again, and asked my about my family etc and what my husband thought about me being gone so long.  Yes, you guessed it.  Mistake here.  I told him I didn't have a husband.  He still wouldn't let me scan my pass.

The next day I finally noticed the sign in front of the bus said "Out of Service" and he told me he had "knocked off" and was just headed to the depot.  Can't figure out why he wouldn't pickup/drop people on the way, but that is the way of it.  He said he could take a different route and get me closer to the office, which he did.  Also suggested I stay in S. A. and not go back, to which I of course replied that I needed to go back to be with my children and grandchildren.

Next day he says he'll get a visa and come and visit me and takes me to the gate of the office building.  He seemed like a nice guy but it became obvious that to him I was the rich American woman and a potential ticket to a better life.

I'm no longer at the bus stand at 8:30ish.  I take the earlier bus and come home earlier.  Well, still working on getting the bus home part.  Not quite satisfactory on that yet.  But!  Lesson learned.

So, it was confusing and bewildering for a few days as I was sure there was a disconnect in communication.  This is a VERY indirect communications society, and add a lack of total understanding of English to compound the frustration.  I certainly did not feel threatened or in danger.  Now it is something to laugh about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home